STAND-UP PADDLE BOARDING IN SLOVENIA
Slovenia is Stand-up Paddle Boarding Paradise! With 20.000 km2 and only 2 millions inhabitants, Slovenia is small country located in the heart of Europe, between the mighty Julian Alps and Adriatic sea. Many tourists compare it to Switzerland and New Zealand. It’s really green, diverse, pristine, cultural rich, it has all four seasons and many, many gorgeous SUP locations.
STAND UP PADDLE BOARDING ON LAKES, RIVERS, SEA
Although more that 90% of the country is covered by forests and green meadows, you will discover numerous crystal clear green rivers, lakes, waterfalls and gorges, so clean, that you can drink the its water. Nature is breathtaking and we like to explore it on SUP boards. Conditions for stand up paddle boarding are great, generally speaking paddling is relatively safe, if you consider basic rules, weather conditions and prepare for a sup tour upfront. Of course you need to know which parts of rives are calm and safe to paddle and where to enter the water, that’s why we suggest you to join our SUP tours you can see below, guided by experienced ASI certified SUP instructor.
Slovenian coast is only 40 km long, but that’s enough to see the action going. Lovely bays, open sea, high cliffs, natural park and a bird sanctuary. You can stand up paddle along the whole coast, but it’s necessary to check wind forecast as Jugo and Burja winds (Spring, Autumn) and thermal wind (during the summer) can take up quickly. Our favorite SUP tours are enchanting old town of Piran and Mesecev bay, which is not accessible by car, so it’s great place to paddle to and relax while checking the sunset. Unfortunately we don’t have wave spot (we have to take a ride to Italy or Croatia), on nice sunny days the sea is flat in the morning and choppy through the day.
MOST POPULAR SUP LOCATIONS IN SLOVENIA?
1. Soca river
2. Ljubljanica river in Ljubljana
3. Bohinjsko lake in Triglav national Park
4. Piran seaside town
5. Bled lake
6. Wild, intermittent Cerknica lake
Our favorite stand- up paddle boarding location is absolutely Soca river. With it’s emerald colour is simply breathtaking. But you have to know where the current is slow and calm and there for suitable for paddling, or river can be also very dangerous. We love paddling through the center of Ljubljana, the green capital of Europe, mostly because it’s nice to see how Ljubljanica river is changing it’s surroundings – from calm, pristine nature to urban queen. If you come to Slovenia, Bohinj and Bled lakes, wild intermittent Cerknica lake and Krka or Kolpa river are definitely the most popular and #MustPaddle SUP locations.
BEST TIME TO STAND UP PADDLE IN SLOVENIA?
Stand-up Paddle Boarding season in Slovenia normally starts in late April and ends in October. We can simply divide it to three parts:
- PRE/POST SEASON: April and October. The weather can change quickly and is less predictable (sometimes is sunny, sometimes very rainy). You can expect air temperatures to 20 degrees, river and lake temperatures are cold in April, but normally still quite warm in October. Bring warm clothes, shoes with thick shoes sole, a neoprene suit if you have it (otherwise we can rent you neoprene shorty) and you can have a great time on the board!
- MIDDLE SEASON: May, June and September. Days are getting longer, air and water temperatures higher and weather are getting sunnier. Normally temperatures vary between 20 and 25 degrees, so we believe this is perfect time to come if you like long distance paddling and doing other activities, when there is better that temperatures are not too high.
- TOP SEASON: July and August. We are talking about true summer time with temperatures between 25 and 35 degrees. We suggest this season if you like to have fun on your SUP board, if you like jumping of your board and swimming in crystal clean lakes and rivers.
If you come outside seasons defined, contact us and we can check whether conditions are suitable for organizing a SUP tour or not. After all, the most important is your safety.
WHAT STAND UP PADDLERS THINK ABOUT PADDLE BOARDING IN SLOVENIA?
We invite you to check what bloggers and people, who already joined Bananaway tours think about paddling in our pictures places.
- BLOG: WHY SUP’ING IS THE COOLEST WAY TO EXPLORE THE CITY OF LJUBLJANA?
- BLOG: EASTERN EUROPE: ACTIVITIES FOR THE ADVENTUROUS TRAVELLER
- BLOG: STAND-UP PADDLING GOES URBAN IN LJUBLJANA
- BLOG: 10 GRÜNE TIPPS FÜR LJUBLJANA – UND URLAUB MIT HUND IN LJUBLJANA
- BLOG: HERE’S WHY LJUBLJANA IS THE EUROPEAN GREEN CAPITAL OF 2016
- BLOG: 10 TIPS VOOR EEN LJUBLJANA CITYTRIP!
- BLOG: TRAVEL SLOVENIA. THE EUROPEAN GREEN CAPITAN LJUBLJANA
- BLOG: 10 REDENEN WAAROM SLOVENIË DE PERFECTE ROADTRIP BESTEMMING IS!
- RECOMENDATION BY THE GUARDIAN
- BLOG: BEST WAY TO SEE LJUBLJANA
- BLOG: WHY LJUBLJANA SHOULD BE ON YOUR CITY BREAK WISH LIST
- INTERVIEW WITH SUP INSTRUCTOR SPELA
- SUPEXAMINER ARTICLE: SUP AND SAIL CROATIA
- BLOG: INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT BANANAWAY
BANANAWAY TEAM SUGGESTS:
- CHECK WHAT LOCALS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT LJUBLJANA – download USE-IT LJUBLJANA mobile app.